Skip to main content

Issues with using a thread stand on my Singer 201K and 99K solved.

I had a small frustration with my vintage sewing machines which I have now cured.
When I sew using cross-wound thread, which is most of the time, I do not use the machines spool holder. It is designed to work with spools of stacked thread, like the old Sylko reels. I run my thread from a thread stand, which works in reducing any additional twist to the thread by pulling the thread off the spool from end, not the side.
In theory, it works great but in practice, I hit a snag. The spool stand is tall, with the thread stand guide arm being 3-4 inches higher than the spool pin on the machine. Most of the time there is no issue with this, especially if I am sewing at slow to medium pace, but if I pick up speed the thread has a tendency to jump out of the first thread guide on the machine. I find this happens on both my 201K and 99K machines.
What causes the problem is that the thread goes slack if I take my foot off the gas. There is nothing to stop the thread flapping up and down sufficiently to pop it out of the machines first thread guide and then all manner of things can and have gone wrong.
To cure the problem I have made an extra thread guide using an empty metal class 15 bobbin (any bobbin will do) on the machines spool pin (see pictures). This is loosely held in place with a "wonder clip" clamped on the spool pin just above the guide bobbin to prevent any possibility of it jumping off the pin.



I have run the thread from the spool stand through one hole of the "guide" bobbin and then continued threading the machine as normal. The thread now runs almost parallel to the top of the machine.



It has been a week now since I started using a bobbin as an extra thread guide. I have not had any issues with thread jumping out of the first thread guide, even when winding a bobbin at high speed.
Result!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singer 99: Edge stitching attachment.

Looking like a weird set of ladders the Singer edge stitch attachment is one of the most versatile attachments I have, so I thought that I would share some of the ways it can be used. First, it is a very effective and almost faultless way to stitch at the edge of material. Remove the normal presser foot and attach the edge stitcher and you are good to go. I like to turn under 1/8-1/4" of fabric first, and either press or finger press a sharp edge in place. The video below details the full edge stitching process using the attachment. Singer edge stitching foot   More edge stitcher techniques: Singer 99: Adding lace, ribbon etc to a garment edge with the edge stitching attachment

My primary machine: Toyota's Super Jeans 34 after 10 months use.

This is my Super Jeans 34. The big daddy of Toyota's Super Jeans machines with 34 stitch options. It's black, well actually it's more like a dark brown to my eyes. Like almost every domestic sewing machines today, it has a plastic exterior with a rigid metal frame inside. This makes for a lightweight machine, but one which can still punch its way through multiple layers of denim fabric with ease. So what drew me to this machine and what is it like to use? Well, first let me say that my partner has been using a Toyota Quiltmaster 226 for close to 5 years and swears by it as a real, un-fussy workhorse. She is a quilter and has made a multitude of quilts on her machine since we bought it, and it has been totally reliable. I have a Toyota 3304 over locker that I use for garment construction too. It took me a weekend to get to grips with a machine that uses 4 threads instead of two, but since then I loved using the 3304, it's a great over locker, quiet, easy to use,

Singer 99 sewing machine from 1951, the Singer Centennial Year.

This is my recently acquired Singer 99. Made in the UK in 1951 as part of the Singer Centennial year, which I found it in a local secondhand shop. It is small and heavy, being around 3/4 the size of Singers model 66 of the same period. I have been casually looking for a vintage "black" Singer sewing machine for a while. This was the first that I have found that caught my eye as worth a second look. When I found it, it looked in reasonable condition, it had a motor which I was unable to test and the store owner had not tested it either, but the wiring looked very suspect. Turning the hand-wheel made the needle mechanism work, so it seemed in reasonable mechanical condition. There was no noticeable rust other than on the needle plate under the presser foot, which is a sure sign that the machine had not been used in a very long time. The case was a little knocked about, but nothing that was more than reasonable wear and tear. It had it's original instruction manua