Skip to main content

Reasons to learn to sew on a vintage sewing machine.

First, an admission. I originally drafted this post back in late 2017, but did not post it. So I have edited and added to it and so, five years late almost, here it is.

I learned to sew on my Toyota SJ34, a modern, lightweight, 34 stitch, straightforward, easy to use, mechanical sewing machine with a wealth of features for beginner to intermediate users. I did what most people do today, learned on a modern machine costing close on £200 complete with the extension table.



This is what I sew on most of the time, now in 2022.




This is my 1940 Singer 201K, complete with bed extension, that I purchased earlier in 2017 as a hand-cranked machine, with two full sets of "Black tin" attachments and a third-party zig-zagger.
I have modified the machine a little, as follows: added a YDK 0.45amp motor, added a Chinese industrial 30 LED flexible neck lamp, clamped a bobbin on to the spool pin using a "wonder clip" to enable the bobbin to act as a thread guide for when I use spools of thread that are "cross-wound" from the thread stand that is behind the machine.
Now for the kicker........ This machine cost me £15 (Yes you read it correctly, £15), the LED lamp £4, new motor £31, thread stand £12. So the total outlay for the machine was £62. I cleaned and lubricated the machine myself to get it running really smoothly. Other than de-fluffing and lubricating I doubt that there will be any further need for a major outlay for servicing or parts for a long long time. This machine is built like a tank from all metal parts other than the bobbin wheel and drive belt and is more than capable of lasting another 50 years in domestic use, and it sews extremely well.

I have now (2022) been using my Toyota and Singer 201K for 8 and 5 years respectively. The 201K has been my main machine during this period for several reasons:

    It is very, very quiet, even with its after market motor that replaces the original hand crank.
    It is fast when I need it to be and very controllable down t o very slow. (Unlike the Toyota and many budget modern machines).
    The stitch is excellent.
    I have found a period buttonhole attachment which was the missing link to all I need in a machine.

But best of all is, at 82 years old this superb machine just fits how I work with a sewing machine. A few drops oil occasionally and a little routine maintenance has kept it "Singing" for the past 5 years that I have owned it. It rarely gives me any issues because I took the time, when I first bought it, to clean it thoroughly, really understand how it works and how to keep it in tip top working order ever since. For this I have been rewarded with a machine that any seamstress would love and be proud to own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singer 99: Edge stitching attachment.

Looking like a weird set of ladders the Singer edge stitch attachment is one of the most versatile attachments I have, so I thought that I would share some of the ways it can be used. First, it is a very effective and almost faultless way to stitch at the edge of material. Remove the normal presser foot and attach the edge stitcher and you are good to go. I like to turn under 1/8-1/4" of fabric first, and either press or finger press a sharp edge in place. The video below details the full edge stitching process using the attachment. Singer edge stitching foot   More edge stitcher techniques: Singer 99: Adding lace, ribbon etc to a garment edge with the edge stitching attachment

My primary machine: Toyota's Super Jeans 34 after 10 months use.

This is my Super Jeans 34. The big daddy of Toyota's Super Jeans machines with 34 stitch options. It's black, well actually it's more like a dark brown to my eyes. Like almost every domestic sewing machines today, it has a plastic exterior with a rigid metal frame inside. This makes for a lightweight machine, but one which can still punch its way through multiple layers of denim fabric with ease. So what drew me to this machine and what is it like to use? Well, first let me say that my partner has been using a Toyota Quiltmaster 226 for close to 5 years and swears by it as a real, un-fussy workhorse. She is a quilter and has made a multitude of quilts on her machine since we bought it, and it has been totally reliable. I have a Toyota 3304 over locker that I use for garment construction too. It took me a weekend to get to grips with a machine that uses 4 threads instead of two, but since then I loved using the 3304, it's a great over locker, quiet, easy to use,

Singer 99 sewing machine from 1951, the Singer Centennial Year.

This is my recently acquired Singer 99. Made in the UK in 1951 as part of the Singer Centennial year, which I found it in a local secondhand shop. It is small and heavy, being around 3/4 the size of Singers model 66 of the same period. I have been casually looking for a vintage "black" Singer sewing machine for a while. This was the first that I have found that caught my eye as worth a second look. When I found it, it looked in reasonable condition, it had a motor which I was unable to test and the store owner had not tested it either, but the wiring looked very suspect. Turning the hand-wheel made the needle mechanism work, so it seemed in reasonable mechanical condition. There was no noticeable rust other than on the needle plate under the presser foot, which is a sure sign that the machine had not been used in a very long time. The case was a little knocked about, but nothing that was more than reasonable wear and tear. It had it's original instruction manua